Serger Classes (Beginner & Intermediate Levels Available)Regular price $190.00
Gain confidence using your serger. As far as you learn the basics of serging, you'll discover how versatile your serger machine is! I
In our Serger for Beginners, our instructor will give you an overview of how to thread and maintain a serger. You will learn how to troubleshoot common issues like poor tension, skipped stitches, and more. As soon as you are ready, you'll jump into action to make an easy garment using your own serger. Prerequisite: No prior serger experience required.
In Serger Level 2, you will be making a wrap dress, out of knit fabric. The wrap dress is unique in that it has managed to stand the test of time in the ever-changing world of fashion. The wrap dress was first created in the 1930s but did not become popular until Diane Von Furstenberg recreated it using a knit fabric in the 1970s. Although this garment looks daunting your teacher has extensive experience making the popular wrap dress, having worked as a dressmaker for a local fashion designer who was well-known for her wrap dresses. Prerequisite: Serger Level 1 or experience using your serger at home.
Reminder: All students who register for this class are required to bring their own serger machine. EcoEquitable serger's are reserved for our Sewing For Jobs program only. Thank you for your understanding!
All proceeds from EcoEquitable's public sewing courses go towards our mission of empowering women with sewing skills and building connection and community; and supporting our local circular economy by redistributing fabric and sewing tools. We thank you for joining and supporting us!
Wednesdays (Level 2), April 12 - May 17 2023 from 6-9pm with Sonja
Wednesdays (Level 1), May 24 - June 14 2023 from 6-9pm with Sonja
*Any classes that fall on a stat holiday will rescheduled and extended by 1 week to accommodate our office closure.
Length of Program: 4-6 weeks
LOCATION: 404 McArthur Avenue, Unit "D" (end unit in the strip mall)
Max class size: 8
Min class size: 4
*We require a minimum of 4 people to run the course otherwise it may be cancelled. Please see our updated Refund and Cancellation Policy below for more information.
YOU WILL LEARN:
- Machine basics parts, to better understand how it works.
- How to use differential feed and stitch length in order to get the best results when using them.
- How to properly thread your machine to avoid problems.
- Adjusting the cutting width of your fabric.
- Different stitches using 2, 3, and 4 thread: serging, flatlock stitch, rolled hem and when to use them.
- Decorative stitches using specialty thread.
- Troubleshooting, cleaning and maintenance of your machine.
- How to sew inside and outside curves and corner successfully for professional finishes.
- How to make different garments as you advance in the levels
**The in-class project may be changed without prior notice by the Instructor**
- Students will be able to shop in EcoEquitable's Eco Fabric Boutique and fill a bag of sustainable fabric for the special price of $10, included in the class fee.
FOR STUDENTS TO BRING:
- Your serger machine
- All the accessories and tools that come with your machine
- Instruction manual (If you don’t have one, it's likely that you'll be able to find it online)
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
- If you are purchasing/registering this class on behalf of someone else, please include their name, phone number and email address in the "NOTES" box of the checkout page. Thank you!
- EcoEquitable Inc. is committed to comply and exceed the requirements and recommendations of Ottawa Public health and to put in place all necessary measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. While masks are no longer mandatory, we recommend wearing a mask while in-class. In addition, all individuals who enter our programs are encouraged to:
- Wash your hands frequently
- Bring and use hand sanitizer
- Clean your workstation before and after class
Refund and Cancellation policy:
- EcoEquitable requires a notice of cancellation via email in order to process a refund.
- For written notice of cancellation 3 or more weeks before the class start date, EcoEquitable will refund the class fee minus a $20 administrative fee.
- For written notice of cancellation 1 week or more before the class start date, EcoEquitable will refund 50% of the class fee.
- Cancellations less than 7 days before the class is set to start are non-refundable, unless there is a waitlist for the course and we are able to fill the spot.
- If the minimum number of students do not register, EcoEquitable reserves the right to cancel the class. Students will be notified via email with 48 hours notice of any class cancellations and will be eligible for a full refund.