Sewing for TeensRegular price $200.00
These teen sewing classes are designed for teens between 12 to 18 years old who want to get immersed in the amazing and fun world of fashion and sewing. Teens do not require previous sewing experience for the first class, Introduction to Sewing. We encourage you to read the class descriptions below and select the class for your teen that best matches their current skills and experience. All skill levels are welcome to register!
All proceeds from EcoEquitable's public sewing courses go towards our mission of empowering women with sewing skills and building connection and community; and supporting our local circular economy by redistributing fabric and sewing tools. We thank you for joining and supporting us!
- Introduction to Sewing - beginner with no experience in sewing
- Sewing Basics 1 - beginner with some experience in hand stitching or using a sewing machine
- Sewing Basics 2 - beginner or intermediate with experience and confidence using a sewing machine and working with patterns
- Introduction to Sewing on Sundays: February 5th - 26th from 10am-1pm 2023 with Sophie (4 weeks)
- Sewing Basics 1 on Sundays: March 26th - April 30th from 10am-1pm 2023 with Sophie (6 weeks)
- Introduction to Sewing on Wednesdays: March 29th - April 19th from 5-8pm 2023 with Sophie (4 weeks)
*Any classes that fall on a stat holiday will rescheduled and extended by 1 week to accommodate our office closure.
Length of Program: 4-6 weeks
LOCATION: 404 McArthur Avenue, Unit "D" (end unit in the strip mall)
Max class size: 8
Min class size: 4
*We require a minimum of 4 people to run the course otherwise it may be cancelled. Please see our updated Refund and Cancellation Policy below for more information.
TEENS WILL LEARN:
Introduction to Sewing:
- Basic machine mechanics
- How to make a Japanese knotted pouch
- How to make a zippered pouch
- Measurements and pattern selection
- Fabric types
Sewing Basics 1:
- Everything listed above in Introduction to Sewing, in addition to:
- How to make a Palazo pant or tunic
- Working with non-stretch fabric such as cotton, linen
- Simple pattern adjustments (to fit their body)
Sewing Basics 2:
- Everything listed above, in addition to:
- How to make a fitted skirt
- Working with stretch fabrics
- Working with more fitted patterns that need many adjustments
- Intermediate/advanced pattern adjustment
- EcoEquitable provides access to a sewing machine, tools, and notions during class. We charge a nominal fee of $10, included in the class fee, that goes towards sewing machine maintenance, supplies, and tools.
- Students are welcome to bring their own sewing machine to class. If you choose to do so, please notify EcoEquitable at the end of your course and we will reimburse you the $10 equipment and maintenance fee.
- Students will be able to shop in EcoEquitable's Eco Fabric Boutique and fill a bag of sustainable fabric for the special price of $10, included in the class fee.
FOR STUDENTS TO BRING:
- A notebook for taking notes
- A list of other sewing tools needed may be provided by your instructor before the first class or during your first class. Any instructions will be emailed or provided to you in advance.
- Students are encouraged to have a domestic sewing machine, iron, and basic sewing kit at home to practice and/or complete their in-class projects. However, this is not mandatory to complete the class.
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
- If you are purchasing/registering this class on behalf of someone else, please include their name, phone number and email address in the "NOTES" box of the checkout page. Thank you!
- EcoEquitable Inc. is committed to comply and exceed the requirements and recommendations of Ottawa Public health and to put in place all necessary measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. While masks are no longer mandatory, we recommend wearing a mask while in-class. In addition, all individuals who enter our programs are encouraged to:
- Wash your hands frequently
- Bring and use hand sanitizer
- Clean your workstation before and after class
Refund and Cancellation policy:
- EcoEquitable requires a notice of cancellation via email in order to process a refund.
- For written notice of cancellation 3 or more weeks before the class start date, EcoEquitable will refund the class fee minus a $20 administrative fee.
- For written notice of cancellation 1 week or more before the class start date, EcoEquitable will refund 50% of the class fee.
- Cancellations less than 7 days before the class is set to start are non-refundable, unless there is a waitlist for the course and we are able to fill the spot.
- If the minimum number of students do not register, EcoEquitable reserves the right to cancel the class. Students will be notified via email with 48 hours notice of any class cancellations and will be eligible for a full refund.