Sewing Level 2: IntermediateRegular price $300.00
This is course is designed for people with basic sewing experience who are looking to develop their skills!
Prerequisite: Sewing basics, or have completed Sewing Level 1. Students at the intermediate level should be confident in using their sewing machine.
All proceeds from EcoEquitable's public sewing courses go towards our mission of empowering women with sewing skills and building connection and community; and supporting our local circular economy by redistributing fabric and sewing tools. We thank you for joining and supporting us!
Dates: Fridays, January 19th - March 8th from 6-9PM with Coco
Thursdays, March 28th - May 16th from 6-9PM with Coco
About your Instructor:
Hi there! My name is Coco and I immigrated to Canada when I was very young. While I was growing up, I didn't have anybody to teach me sewing, so I decided to just teach myself. Over the past three years, I have really dedicated myself to building on my previous skills and learning as much as I possibly can about sewing. My sewing journey has taken me into garment making, quilting, pattern-making, alterations, and much much more. I look forward to sharing my knowledge with you and helping you make the crazy (or boring) ideas in your head a reality and helping you to avoid some of the mistakes that I had to learn about the hard way. One fun little thing I like to say is that sewing is all about creatively stabbing the fabric in a way that achieves the functional and aesthetic goals of your project. See you in class!
*Any classes that fall on a stat holiday will rescheduled and extended by 1 week to accommodate our office closure.
Length of Program: 8 weeks
LOCATION: 404 McArthur Avenue, Unit "D" (end unit in the strip mall)
Max class size: 6
Min class size: 4
*We require a minimum of 4 people to run the course otherwise it may be cancelled. Please see our updated Refund and Cancellation Policy below for more information.
YOU WILL LEARN:
- Intermediate sewing techniques
- Taking measurements to make a skirt
- How to read sewing pattern instructions
- How to use different interfacing available and how to work with it
- Different ways to finish seam edges, sew darts, a kick pleat and install a centred zipper
- How to make a dress or hem a skirt
**The in-class project may be changed without prior notice**
- EcoEquitable provides access to a sewing machine, tools, and notions during class. We charge a nominal fee of $10, included in the class fee, that goes towards sewing machine maintenance, supplies, and tools.
- Students are welcome to bring their own sewing machine to class. If you choose to do so, please notify EcoEquitable at the end of your course and we will reimburse you the $10 equipment and maintenance fee.
- Fabric needs will be determined by the instructor
FOR STUDENTS TO BRING:
- A notebook for taking notes
- A list of other sewing tools needed may be provided by your instructor before the first class or during your first class.
- Students are encouraged to have a domestic sewing machine, iron, and basic sewing kit at home to practice and/or complete their in-class projects. However, this is not mandatory to complete the class.
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
- If you are purchasing/registering this class on behalf of someone else, please include their name, phone number and email address in the "NOTES" box of the checkout page. Thank you!
- EcoEquitable Inc. is committed to comply and exceed the requirements and recommendations of Ottawa Public health and to put in place all necessary measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. While masks are no longer mandatory, we recommend wearing a mask while in-class. In addition, all individuals who enter our programs are encouraged to:
- Wash your hands frequently
- Bring and use hand sanitizer
- Clean your workstation before and after class
Refund and Cancellation policy:
- EcoEquitable requires a notice of cancellation via email in order to process a refund.
- For written notice of cancellation 3 or more weeks before the class start date, EcoEquitable will refund the class fee minus a $20 administrative fee.
- For written notice of cancellation 1 week or more before the class start date, EcoEquitable will refund 50% of the class fee.
- Cancellations less than 7 days before the class is set to start are non-refundable, unless there is a waitlist for the course and we are able to fill the spot.
- If the minimum number of students do not register, EcoEquitable reserves the right to cancel the class. Students will be notified via email with 48 hours notice of any class cancellations and will be eligible for a full refund.